Let’s Get Quizzical: Self Care
Are you a self care superstar or do you not know your SPF from your savasana? Take our quiz all about self care and find out how much you know! Answers below…
1. How many hours of sleep is recommended for a teenager every night?
a) 6 - 6.5 hours
b) 7 - 7.5 hours
c) 8 - 8.5 hours
d) 9 - 9.5 hours
2. When should you wear SPF?
a) When you go out in the sun
b) Every day
c) When it’s above 21c
3. True or false: self care can be emotional, physical, social, practical, mental and spiritual?
4. What is micellar water used for?
a) Removing makeup and cleansing skin
b) Mixing with lemons for a detox drink
c) Rinsing your hair after conditioner
d) Washing mice
5. What is said to be the most important meal of the day?
d) Midnight Feast
6. On average, how much water should you drink in a day?
a) 4 glasses
b) 5 glasses
c) 7 glasses
d) 8 glasses
7. Where does yoga originally come from?
8. True or false: setting boundaries is healthy?
9. International Self Care Day is in which month?
10. Practicing gratitude means:
a) Being peaceful and quiet for 24 hours
b) Taking time to reflect on what you’re thankful for
c) Copying your granny’s attitude
d) Telling people around you that you like their attitude
1. The answer is d) 9 - 9.5 hours!
According to pediatrician Michael Crocetti, M.D., M.P.H., at Johns Hopkins, teens need 9 to 9½ hours of sleep per night. Sometimes this can be hard to achieve, so as long as you’re getting some zzz’s, you should be fine!
2. The answer is b) Every day!
Skin care experts recommend wearing SPF every day, as UV rays even penetrate clouds...so even if it’s not sunny, you’re still getting exposed to them. They are also actually emitted by some computer screens, so you should apply sunscreen every single morning without fail just to be safe!
3. The answer is True!
Yes that’s right, from writing in a journal to getting enough sleep, reading a book to meditation, yoga, or even just chatting with your mates, they all fall into six categories of self care!
4. The answer is a) Removing make up and cleansing skin!
Micellar water gently cleanses, tones, and removes makeup.
5. The answer is c) Breakfast!
Breakfast is often called 'the most important meal of the day', and for good reason! As the name suggests, it breaks the overnight fasting period. It replenishes your supply of glucose to boost your energy levels and alertness, while also providing other essential nutrients required for good health.
6. The answer is d) 8 glasses!
In the UK, the Eatwell Guide suggests you should aim for 8 glasses of water and other liquids each day to replace normal water loss. That adds up to about 1.5 litres.
7. The answer is c) India!
The beginnings of yoga were developed by the Indus-Sarasvati civilization in Northern India over 5,000 years ago. Now that’s a long time of getting relaxed!
8. The answer is True!
Setting boundaries is very healthy as it allows us to conserve our emotional energy. Setting boundaries in friendships and relationships means we can maintain enough energy to care for ourselves, and the people around us!
9. The answer is a) July!
International Self-Care Day (ISD) is held on 24 July every year (24/7 - to symbolise that the benefits of self care are experienced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). It provides a focus and opportunity to raise the profile of healthy lifestyle self-care programmes around the world.
10. The answer is b) Taking time to reflect on what you’re thankful for!
Practicing gratitude, and regularly thinking about what you’re thankful for gives you time to experience more positive emotions, feel more alive, sleep better, express more compassion and kindness, and even have stronger immune systems!