Cheeseburger Day Challenge
Include this article in your Skills Builder Journal. It could help you develop...
September 18 is National Cheeseburger Day, and that means one thing and one thing only...it’s time to make the best cheeseburger ever!
Below you’ll find a basic recipe (with dietary adjustments) for the burger itself, but it’s up to you to make it your own.
Does that mean two patties? Extra cheese? A rasher or three of bacon? Maybe a cheeky hash brown? Pickles or no pickles? Ketchup? Mayo? Or simple and to the point? Think there’s only one type of cheese that can be used? Does a bun need to be toasted? Are you for or against salad leaves? However you make yours, we want to see it.
Tag us in a pic @NCS on September 18 and we’ll be sharing our favourites...and getting the opinions of everyone else too!
What you’ll need for four burgers:
- 500g minced beef
- 150g breadcrumbs
- 70g grated cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- Big pinch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Buns - could be anything from brioche rolls to bread slices!
(Of course all of these ingredients can be substituted to fit your diet - if you don’t eat meat or dairy try using soy mince, or even lentils, and vegan cheese. You can even use 3tbsp of whipped up aquafaba for one egg replacement. And, if you don’t think the perfect cheeseburger even needs to be handmade, feel free to buy pre-made burgers and cook according to packet instructions! Anything goes when it comes to your burger…)
1. Add all your ingredients into a big bowl.
2. Mix with your hands to combine everything thoroughly.
3. Shape the mix into four burgers - flatten into patties about 3cm thick. Make sure all the burgers are the same thickness so that they will cook evenly.
4. Put on a plate, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge to firm up for at least 30 mins.
5. To cook the burgers, heat grill to high. Grill burgers for 6-8 mins on each side until cooked through.
6. Whilst the burgers are cooking, get your buns and toppings ready, then assemble and eat!
- Cheese - obviously! But this could be anything from cheddar to mozzarella to ricotta to boursin
- Salady bits - lettuce, rocket, spinach, tomatoes, pickles, mushrooms, peppers, avocado
- Battered onion rings, caramelised onions, red onions, sauerkraut
- Hash browns
- Fried egg
- Chilli jam, jalapenos, fresh chilli
- Ketchup, mayo, garlic sauce, barbecue sauce
The options are endless…so what are you gonna do? Have fun and don’t forget to tag us @NCS!