ACTION DAY 2022
Every April we come together to do some good. It doesn’t matter whether you can spare an hour or a day, every action (big or small) will make a difference.
If you’re looking to make a positive impact and do some good in April 2022, we’re 100% behind you. To help you on your way to creating a success story, we’ve put together several resources for you to use and find inspiration from!
So whether you organise a beach clean, create care packages for refugees, or speak up about a cause you’re passionate about, this is your chance to join our national movement!
To give you an idea of what people get up to, check out 2019’s Impact Map
For more detailed case studies (relating to each of our most popular topics), check out:
- ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
- MENTAL HEALTH AND WELLBEING
- TACKLING DISCRIMINATION
- REDUCING VIOLENT CRIME
- HELPING VULNERABLE PEOPLE
Short on time, but keen to take part?
If you can’t spare much time, don’t panic – we’d still love for you to get involved:
Got your sights set on something bigger?
Amazing! We recommend you check out the following resources:
Tell us what you’re planning
We want to know what you’re getting up to this April in support of Action Day – so we’ve created a new Impact Map for 2021! This will keep track of all those good deeds that people commit to doing. Don’t forget to add your contribution, and check out what everyone else is doing across the country!
Want to join forces with others?
Every year, our Changemakers put exciting plans into place, and if you’re not sure where to start, they’re always looking for extra support. Contact your Grad Lead for more info on how to get involved, and take a look at the 2021 Impact Map to get some inspiration.
Good luck and we can’t wait to see what you accomplish!
YOUR ACTION DAY CHECKLIST
If you know the who, what, why, when and how of your social action project, then great!
If you don’t, don’t panic! Here’s a guide to help you make meaningful change in your community for this year’s Action Day.
Build your team
It’s important you get your group right.
You could reunite your NCS team, bring together other NCS grads from your area, or simply build a team from your local community. But what does it take to be a dream team?
- Positivity: Every project has challenges, so a can-do attitude is key
- Passion: Do they care for the cause? This will help drive the project forwards
- Organisation: Staying on top of things will make life MUCH easier
- Support: People can have differing opinions...how will your team support one another?
- Creativity: Can they think outside the box? Can they see things from a fresh perspective?
Get them together!
Find a space where you can be creative and give yourselves time to think. If you don’t know where to go, your local NCS team should be able to help.
Don’t forget to give everyone an opportunity to speak.
Choose your cause
What are you ALL interested in? It’s important that everyone is passionate about the cause.
- What does your local community need help with?
- Does your team have connections with any charities already?
- What issues do you care about the most?
- Looking for inspiration? Check out our Action Day page
Plan, plan, plan!
How much time can you dedicate to this? And how will you make it happen? Consider everyone’s strengths and give out tasks to each team member.
If you need a helping hand, refer to our planning guide. Register your project
Keep us in the loop by registering your project and we’ll add it to the NCS Impact Map. You’ll be able to see how your hard work supports the national movement and find out what everyone else will be doing on Action Day 2022.
Shout about it
Got your project all planned out? Congrats! Now it’s about getting the word out there.
Take to the streets and stick up posters. Contact your local media outlets. Create a buzz on social media. Tweet celebs. Invite local businesses and MPs to get involved. Try it all!
Tag @NCS and use relevant hashtags to reach more people on social media. Enjoy your NCS Action Day
It’s time to deliver your project and make a real difference in your community. Good luck!
And don’t forget to make some noise about your good deeds on the day too!
Remember, you can always ask your local NCS team for help!
YOUR ACTION DAY PLANNING GUIDE
Want to plan the best social action project of 2022? Here’s some guidance to help you on your way.
- Decide on a cause the whole team is passionate about
- Work out what each team member’s role will be
- Share out the jobs so everyone feels involved
Choose your cause
You may have got your team together with a cause in mind – but if you’re looking for inspiration, here are some points to discuss:
- What charities do you support?
- What causes are important to you?
- Are there any local issues that bother you?
- Can you see solutions to problems in your area?
- What common themes are coming up?
What’s the big idea? Think creatively about how you can solve the problem and make an impact.
Roles & responsibilities
Now is a good time to discuss everyone’s strengths and work out what their roles will be.
- Who will lead meetings and make sure all points are covered?
- Who wants to take notes?
- What will everyone do to help make the project a success?
- Can you involve more people to help out on the day?
Sum up the purpose of your project in one simple sentence.
What does success look like?
The way you measure success will depend on what your project is. Set yourselves a target that relates to your project’s purpose.
- How many people would you like to reach?
- Do you want to raise awareness nationwide? Worldwide?
- What kind of legacy do you want your project to leave behind?
The steps to success
Work out what your team needs to do in order to achieve those project goals. Here are a few things to consider:
- How much time can everyone commit to the project?
- How often will you need to catch up?
- What deadlines will you need to meet?
- How will you raise awareness of the project?
- Who do you need to contact to make your plans a reality?
- What equipment will you need?
- Will you need a venue?
- If you’re running an event, will you need invites? RSVPs?
When you have a good understanding of what your project will be, tell us about it! Register your idea online and we’ll add it to the Impact Map. Head to our Action Day page now!
Take a few minutes to go over what’s been discussed. Everyone should feel clear and confident about what they’re doing before the next meeting.
A little inspiration...
In 2018 a team in Exeter had an incredible social action plan! Their simple idea was to add ‘Priority Item’ labels to products their local food bank needed most. They worked with their local Sainsbury’s and managed to TRIPLE donations! Because their initiative was so successful, it’s been rolled out nationwide!